Business & Multifamily Recycling Program
On January 8, 2009, the Citrus Heights City Council adopted the Business and Multifamily Recycling Ordinance (No. 2008-17).
The following provides a summary of the ordinance requirements, an explanation of why the city adopted the ordinance, and how your business or multifamily complex will benefit. Please see the brochure (PDF) for handy information.
First, the city is required by state law (AB 939) to "divert" 50% of the waste materials generated in Citrus Heights from disposal in landfills. There are 3 ways to accomplish the requirements:
- Source reduction - a preventive approach to reduce the amount of waste generated in the first place
- Recycling - using materials / products that are recyclable and recycling them instead of throwing them in the trash
- Compost programs
Second, the city is committed to implementing cost-effective and efficient programs that promote environmental protection, greenhouse gas reduction, and energy independence. The Business and Multifamily Recycling Ordinance is consistent with these goals.
Although the City of Citrus Heights already has a Business and Multifamily Recycling Ordinance in place, the State of California recently passed Assembly Bill 341 (AB 341) which requires businesses and public entities subscribing to 4 or more cubic yards of waste collection service per week and multifamily complexes with 5 or more units, regardless of waste collection service level, to implement an on-site recycling program.
According to the 2008 Statewide Waste Characterization data, the commercial sector generates nearly 3/4 of the solid waste in California. Much of this waste that ends up in landfills is readily recyclable. AB 341 sets a new statewide goal of 75% diversion of waste from our landfills.
Who Is Affected
Owners and/or operators of businesses and multifamily complexes with 5 or more units, regardless of the collection service level, are required to implement an on-site recycling program.
- Complete a Recycling Plan (PDF). If you are subject to this ordinance, your garbage service provider will contact you and assist with filling out the form. The Recycling Plan includes summary information about the business and indicates how you will comply with the ordinance.
- Separate "recyclables" from trash. Recyclables include mixed paper, newspaper, magazines, junk mail, cardboard, plastic containers (#1-7, but no polystyrene foam), and aluminum and tin cans.
- Provide for the collection and delivery of recyclables to a recycling facility by either:
- Entering into a service agreement with a franchised hauler or authorized recycling company for the collection of recyclables
- Self hauling recyclables to an appropriate facility. For this option, you must complete and retain on-site a Self-Haul Certification Form (PDF).
- Provide containers to collect recyclable materials in businesses and multifamily complexes.
- Post and maintain signs in areas where recyclables are collected.
- Educate employees and tenants about the program.
This program allows commingled recycling of the same materials collected through the city's residential program. Please see the materials list (PDF) for clarification.
Garbage & Recycling Service Providers
The following companies are franchised garbage and recycling service providers in the city:
- Atlas Disposal Industries, LLC - 916-455-2800
- Greenwaste of Sacramento - 916-429-9900
- Republic Services - 916-631-0600
- Waste Management of Sacramento - 209-369-8274
- Waste Removal and Recycling - 916-453-1400
Companies Offering Recycling Services
All these companies offer recycling services to their customers. Businesses may also utilize the services offered by the following authorized recyclers:
- AAA Services - 916-600-3400
- C & C Green Services - 916-806-8696
- California Electronic Asset Recovery (CEAR) - 916-388-1777
- International Paper - 916-371-4634
- Modern Waste Solutions - 916-339-3676
- Recycling Industries, Inc. - 916-452-3961
- Rock-Tenn Recycling and Waste Solutions - 916-381-3340
- Sacramento Regional Conservation Corps - 916-386-8394
- Sims Recycling Solutions, Inc. - 916-772-5681
- Southside Unlmited - 916-387-8080
- Spencer Building Maintenance - 916-992-1900
Overall Cost Reduction
Most businesses and multifamily complexes can save money by reducing trash collection service with the implementation of a comprehensive recycling program. Feel free to contact your waste hauler to learn more about reducing overall costs.
Recycling Program Implementation Assistance
If you would like someone to visit your business or multifamily complex and help with implementation of your on-site recycling program, please contact the city's General Services Department at 916-727-4770 or email General Services.